Sunday, February 12, 2006

The happy list

The topic lately has been happiness. So let's continue to run that into the ground.

I remembered a fun little exercise I used to do with some co-workers on a non-regular basis: We'd create happy lists.

The happy list was an enumerated list of things we had reason to be happy about at that particular time. One person would start by writing their list, and then email it to the other two who participated. We'd all review each list together when finished to decipher the not-so-obvious entries to one another.

Hokie? Oh yes. Contrived? Maybe. But it sure helped to redirect our thoughts from those of being malconteded corporate gears to realizing there sure was a lot to be happy about in our lives. It was also a good way to cultivate good friendships, too. I wouldn't doubt if ignudo still had some or all of those archived somewhere. He's like that.

But for old time's sake (and the need to be positive for a change), here goes...the explanations are added for blog readers who otherwise won't get the opportunity to interrogate me later abour specific entries:

1. My family - the kids and the queen all are great wonders in my life.
2. My friends - Both of them. lol. No, really, my friends as diverse and geographically spread out as they are, all add something to who I am. And that's a good thing.
3. Eleven Stories - Bruce Robison's new album comes out first week of April. Sneak preview on his record label's website. Go to Artists and select Bruce Robison.
4. Tax refund - thank God, we don't have to pay again AND we should be able to buy some sorely needed items and a fun one or two
5. iPod - last year's Father's Day gift about to come to fruition (Thanks IRS! - ref. no. 4)
6. "Far Exceeds Expectations" - my annual performance review was rated highest level possible
7. Next Blog>> I frequently hit the Next Blog button to find out what's happening with other random individuals around the world. Often it's a bust. Sometimes, it's a lucky find. Reference this 'found' blog that turned into one I check frequently
8. Karma - "My Name is Earl" is a fantastic show that combines the spirit of my favorite movie of all time with the grand notion of karma.
9. Nostromo n52 GamePad - the coolest second-choice I could have ever gotten for a Christmas present. I had wanted a keyboard-based product, but my best friend got one and I didn't want to be the bandwagon boy. So I found a review that mentioned the n52, and decided to try it. I love it.
10. Sight words - my son is learning to read and brings home from school a set of 8 words to read each night. He was doing well with each set to I asked the teacher to start sending two sets a night, and so far, we're keeping up. Hooray! My son may not end up illiterate. Half my work will be done by the time he's 8.

I now return you to you regularly scheduled Internet surfing.

No comments: