Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Can we edit our lives?

So the whole notion of whether or not I should edit my blog entries has had me thinking for a couple days. This medium seems so immediate, conversational and damn near stream-of-consciousness that I just have the initial gut feel that somewhere a blog geek is cringing at the thought.

Then again, it's not like I'm using instant messaging shorthand and emoticons lol :) Someone please share with me the emoticon for dripping with sarcasm.

Back to the point - I read my initial entries and cringe when I see a subject-verb disagreement, or the repetitive use of a word. My nature is to edit. I want to make it right. This isn't like presidential papers that I'm going back and wiping away proof that Reagan really knew. I'm just improving what is intended to be on display for the world to read.

The grander idea of being able to edit our lives, though, now that's intriguing. Imagine tidying up the sordid bits a little. At least where there'd be no proof or anyone else's memory to haunt you. I'm sure that's something the criminal mind prays to someone or something for on a daily basis. Then there's the really dark times. To be able to just blot out, edit if you will, that incident when you had a horrific car accident. Maybe you were abused as a child. Or, maybe someone ripped the heart out of your body and left you whimpering in a lifeless mass, wishing the damage had been physical instead of mental.

There's this cliche in movies and in life of people who are asked to reflect on their lives. "I wouldn't change a thing," they invariably say, wistfully recollecting an arduous but rewarding journey. Screw that. Even my best days I'd probably change a thing or two. There's always room for an even better ride, isn't there?

Maybe that's just the editor in me talking.

No comments: