Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Sideways or up

So it is, I begin a blog. I have my reservations, primarily that I'll become my friend, Chris, who now has a dual identity: that of a big, nerdy nice-guy like me and that of "cool-guy" Chris, who has his own blog and seems to have developed this new circle of techo-savvy friends who seem to think he's cooler than the guys in our fraternity ever did.

One might suggest that I'm just jealous. Yeah, I've thought about that. If anything, I'm jealous that I'm the trained writer, and he's the one getting published regularly. But more than the jealousy, there's the George Costanza-independent George thing that has gone bad. Used to be, Chris was always looking for something to do. You could call him and say, "Hey man, what's up?" and before long, you were at a shooting range killing poor, innocent clay pigeons. But Mr. Cool-Guy Chris now has plans all the time. "Oh, I can't meet you, I'm going to Deep Ellum with some friends tonight." Used to be that I was one of his friends. Now, I'm a backup.

Enough of the whining, let's begin blogging.

Did I mention that I'm a trained writer? LOL, that sounds like a bad '70s movie when the dweeb gets jumped by badasses ... "Stand back, I'm a trained killer!" Don't let me get all uppity. I have a journalism and English degree. Whether it was a double major could be disputed. My original transcript said I was a de facto double major because I had enough English hours that an intended minor turned into a second major. Now that my alma mater (East Texas State University) has on-line transcripts, the notation is not there. So you be the judge - how bads is my writings?

I begin this endeavor aimlessly. I kinda like that. I don't have a purpose for starting a blog - no axe to grind (that's just whining about Chris), no product to subliminally push, no ego to stroke. I've always been fond of the idea of serendipity. The results, though, have proven to vary.

My desire with this blog is to wander into the stream-of-consciousness that my wicked mind flashes past my eyes and channels down to my fingertips. And then I'll leave some room for the occasional rant. Short of that, let's see where this thing goes.

No comments: