Tuesday, May 17, 2005

In Need of a Standing Eight-Count

This is just me talking to myself, but by typing into a computer. It's a freaking diary, isn't it? No, it's a weblog; blog if you're nasty. Whatever the hell it is, just doesn't seem worth much at this point.

Maybe because I've had those days lately where your life feels like a heavyweight in the middle-rounds, getting beaten on constantly, tired and punch-drunk where you keep moving to avoid the punches and have no idea where you are. And somewhere around the corner, you suspect there will be a knockout with your name on it. Yeah, that's a fun existence. That's called life and work and the grind. Once in a while, there's a good day. But so often, the days just roll on past like numbers on the odometer: insignificant as they're happening, but adding up quicker than you realize.

I've done a little snooping around in other people's blogs. The Next Blog>> button at the top of the Blogger page is the only way I've found to really check out other people's work (if you could call it that). Yeah, you can go through your profile and find people who list the same keywords as you put in your Interests list. Wow. So I can find the other 7 losers who really remember the band Fastway from the 80s? Notsomuch a lure. But that's a hassle anyway. The Next Blog>> button is as good a way as any to stumble into someone else's stream-of-consciousness. And there's plenty of people peeing in these streams.

Gotta admit, there are some cool designs, and some damned obsessive people focused on topics I do not care about. Knitting. Gay political activism. Some Spanish-writing couple's babies. Uh, no thanks.

And if you're going to have a slick-looking blog, populate it with some relevant, intriguing or at least entertaining material. Most I've seen tend to be either:

-- on-line diaries (Oh, does Josh really care about me? Will he instant message me? Would he just forward me an email? *puke*)

-- attempts at presenting an amalgam of cleverness/offbeatedness/or just pure smug intellectualism that the reader clicks away thinking, "man, they just try too hard..." *slowly shakes head*


-- are written in either a language other than English and/or by someone in a far-flung part of the world (I've seen blogs from Christchurch, New Zealand; Koala Lumpur, Malaysia; Nova Scotia, Canada; and Singapore just tonight), while intriguing that I might get insight from someone in another part of the world, I don't have the time to sort through their 'life' online to find the parts I'd be interested in reading, and they sure as hell haven't been beating a path to my neck o' the woods.

So maybe it's just the fatigue. Maybe it's because I don't have a muse, other than the whole investigation of this blog world itself. Or, could just be I'm disinterested in blogging because no one has commented on any of my posts to tell me I'm coool. *wink* *giggle*....*gag*

2 comments:

王美安 said...

Some online diaries are really interesting though especially when they speak on personal experiences about sex and relationships. Of course that is my interest. Political blogs absolutley are lacking in excitement for me.

LDiablo said...

Damn. Someone actually left a comment so my cynical, burnt-out rant is less relevant.

I'm not saying online diaries are altogether horrible. (OK, so maybe I didn't leave much room for anything else.) Sure, there are some interesting ones. (not qualified enough to comment on yours since I've only read a few entries; it may be foreshadowing, though, that yours is the only blog I've been compelled to comment on to date.) That said, the process of sifting through so much yucketdy-yuck for the good stuff just seems tiring for someone who already spends too much time on-line.

But then why do I keep hitting that Next Blog> button? Probably same reason the mill-worker keeps buying his lottery ticket.